I have written to Merton and Wandsworth Council’s regarding my concerns about AELTC’s proposed plans on Wimbledon Park.
The most recent public consultations on these proposals at Wimbledon and Merton Councils have now closed. However, please continue to send me your objections at firstname.lastname@example.org and I will send them on to the Councils.
Please read my letter below, which lays out my objections to the proposals and the key questions I have asked the Council and developers to answer.
You might like to use the below points to guide your own emails. Please also try to include your personal reasons for objecting to this development:
- It is massive over-development in a very small residential area.
- The park half of the proposed development is not the generous offer that it seems as first as it could be built on at this scale in the future whenever AELTC want to build the next show court. This should be made over to a trust and which would keep it in public control.
- The 8,000 seater stadium and 38 pre-qualifier courts are huge building works and carbon footprint and not compatible with declaring a climate emergency.
- This creates a mainly un-used development on Metropolitan Open Land rather than opening up our green spaces for all. Councillors should be protecting our green spaces for the use of all, not selling them off.
- The new permissive area of Wimbledon Park is not public and will actually be closed for two summer months and longer if AELTC choose.
- There are no concrete plans for running the current golf club as a community centre so this community benefit is very likely not to be one, and will be closed for the Championship months.
- The traffic movements will be very extensive through Merton and Wandsworth for 6.5 years (at least).
- The Wimbledon Junior Golf Academy which is based here for the use of local schools and which successfully opens the sport to disadvantaged children has had no re-provision.
- Are there any guarantees that Church Road will not be permanently closed during the works and then in the future during all of the qualifiers as well as the Championships? This is already extremely disruptive during the Championships.
Please feel free to copy my email address into your comments on these proposals – email@example.com.